Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Settling in

Well, I'm settling into my role in Zambia. I slept through the night last night which was really nice.
This week the school has been having half days, which is nice because I've been adjusting to the weather, and working through my jet-lag. I like the heat, but I really don't like drinking water... and remember that I have to force myself to once I get a headache at about 11.00.
The school has "reception" (which is preschool and kindergarten) up until grade 4. There are 17 year olds in the grade four class-- because that's just the level they are at. We have quite the task ahead of us! It's hard to tell how old many of the children are because of malnutrition. Most of them (even the older children) are shorter than me-- which is saying a lot.
Tanya and I have been working with the grade fours on an intensive English program for two hours in the morning. The public schools in Zambia teach kids English, so they have the advantage when it comes to finding jobs. We'd like to help these kids to be ready to compete when they are ready to get jobs. Tomorrow we will split up the class, and I will take the more advanced kids and she will take the ones who are struggling so that we will be better able to teach to their exact needs. Today I did some tutoring with some grade ones, and for the next while I will be teaching the grade 2's english.
Teaching in the school is challenging for a few reasons: There is a language barrier, the classes are crowded (there are 37 reception students) and there aren't many teaching supplies. It takes teachers with a lot of energy and creativity to be effective here. I'll do my best. :)
Well, it's time for me to leave the cafe I'm at. Last night I did my lesson prep by candle-light. We'll see if we have power tonight. :) Time for me to get prepping.
It really is great to be back here.
Take care,
Dayna

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've been to Zambia before? Cool! How long were you there then?
I was struck when you said that most of the kids are shorter than you. Is that a result of malnutrition too?
Sounds like this is the right thing at the right time for you. Keep drinking your water and I'll be praying for you!