Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dress Rehersal

I've often heard that having a bad dress rehersal means that you will have a really good show. I've had bad dress rehersals before and there's always this feeling like: how could this have happened after all my careful planning? Of course, the show in the end turns out fine... maybe because the performers realise they aren't invincible and work extra hard. Anyways... this is the story of my bad dress rehersal.

So basically... there was a typo in my last post. A bad one. I didn't have 28.5 hours... I had 4.5. The only problem was that I didn't realise this until it was 12 hours late. I immediatly start to hyperventalate (there's some intense stage fright) at this realisation (think Matt in Destinations... except in my case I was NOT on a plane.) Anyways, I was rescued by two superheros simultaniously. First Dad came to the rescue with his calmness and Janice, my travel agent, was contacted and found a standby flight. We left pretty much immediatly for Sea-Tac. The border crossing was suprisingly easy and we got to the airport in decent time. There we spoke with many grumpy people and enjoyed listening to the amusing conversations around us (and now I want to write a play that takes place in an airport). Lots of prayers later, I had my boarding pass in my hands. I was going to get on the plane!

Anyways... like a bad dress rehersal this embarrassing mistake filled me with self-doubt... but I've now told myself that since a bad dress rehersal means a good show, the worst is now behind me, and ahead is comparitavly smooth sailing.

Dad and I had some coffee, and then I headed to security, where there were more grumpy people, and lots of other people taking off shoes and belts which somehow reminded me of a concentration camp. I got all my stuff back into my bag, followed signs to a train, and easily followed signs to my gate.

My seat was near the back of the plane, so I was one of the first to be boarded. I got an aisle seat too! (Huzzah)

I have decided that I actually really like some airplane food. I had lasagna, and lemon cheese cake, tea, orange juice and sprite and even a crunchy bar (lots of my favorites all in one convenient location). There were pretzels (they were free, Becka!) and in the morning we had lunch... I think somehow because of the time zone change breakfast time never happened.

Then I had a movie-watching marathon, which was brilliant because I didn't sleep. I've got a cold that is so typical that I could be a cold-medication-poster-child. I have it all: runny nose, sneezing, headache, watery eyes. I'm sure I've made many people on the plane sick.

There are lots of interesting people on planes! There was a group of french students with a very type-A teacher. There was a lady who brought a pinyata on board as her carry-on and had quite the time with it. The man beside me was wearing a great hat, and I was pretty sure he was gay until he told me he was going to meet his fiance.

The plane arrived on time, but it took forever and half to get through the lines. It was easy to find my bags, and I met Helen Hawes (a cousin of my Granny) right away in the airport. We took a cab to the house and had tea. I really like England. Adorible houses, patterned carpets, tranquil gardens. Kylie- we are so coming back here in 2010!

Love, Dayna

3 comments:

David said...

Hey Dayna:
We've heard that you were last seen going through security in London -- trusting that you did not go to sleep in the departure lounge. I can tell you, hypothetically, that it's an experience that is vastly over-rated.

Looking for your next update. Something like: I've arrived and all is well.

Footha

Unknown said...

Just trying out my very own blogging capabilities with my very own password and user name. Oh, I am so technological. We can hardly wait to hear from you, Dayna.
Love Mom

John and Anicka said...

Hi Dayna,
Thanks for the neat blog posts. I'm glad you got to meet Helen Hawes -- we did too when we were in London and really enjoyed their company. I read now that you are in Zambia. Glad you made it and it looks like you're having a great time.
-John Clarke