Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fun times!








Yesterday I had a great adventure. In the morning I hand-washed my clothes with Tanya (we won’t get out washing machine until some time next week), went for a walk, and got some good work done on my lesson planning.
In the evening we all went to the Pretoria Game Lodge.
There is a tame elephant on the grounds which I was able to sit on. It was funny because to get the elephant to lie down, the trainers would put some food on the ground and then twist the elephant’s tail. Apparently it wasn’t too happy about its tail being twisted because as it lay down it let out the longest, loudest elephant fart ever (*although this hasn’t been scientifically verified)!
After that, Tanya swam and I enjoyed my Fanta and some peanuts and we talked at the pool (which was really beautiful). No health act saying “no eating on the deck” here! It was so enjoyable.
Then the sun started to go down and we went and sat on the grass in lawn chairs and watched the sunset and various deer coming out to graze. The birds chirped above us and I enjoyed tea and we talked about Mozambique and some of their African adventures. I loved hearing their stories, and of course the setting was beautiful.
Then we went inside and enjoyed a great buffet at the lodge. Leland was given a giant steak (meat only comes in XXXL in Africa!), and all the food was delicious. We talked and talked, and at one point I was laughing so hard I was crying.
As we were driving out of the game park we stopped the car and turned off the lights, got out and looked at the stars. The crickets were chirping and the stars sparkled and there was a bright sliver of a moon shining.
It was a perfect evening.


And today has been a great birthday! An amazing church service, Tanya making me a special breakfast, having a great vanilla milkshake for lunch, cooling off in the pool (we had no water IN the house today... but we have a pool) and I went to the market and the youth group. Thanks for all the birthday messages.

1 comment:

David said...

I think your elephant needs braces!